Funeral Ceremonies with Heart and Soul,
Reflecting the Beauty of Life
I am a professionally trained independent funeral celebrant, based near Wells, Somerset, who will devise and hold a ceremony that precisely reflects the life, beliefs and values of the person who has died. As someone who is trained by experienced funeral celebrants – green fuse – who are also funeral directors, I know what you, the funeral director, require of me e.g. strict time boundaries, good liaison, professionalism and empathy in dealings with families, smart appearance as well as an excellent and individual funeral.
Over two thirds of people in the UK are neither formally religious nor humanist, but these are still by far the most common alternatives given for leading a funeral ceremony. Most people have their own personal mix of beliefs and values. Everyone is different. I will work closely with the family to design an individual funeral, whether spiritual, agnostic, religious or atheist. Family and friends can participate to a greater or lesser extent according to what works for them. We know from experience that families are invariably delighted by a specially crafted funeral and so this will help generate more recommendations for you, the funeral director.
As a green fuse trained independent funeral celebrant, I have been thoroughly trained in all aspects of this role. The green fuse celebrant training:
- has more face to face training (5 days) than any other funeral celebrancy course;
- is written and delivered by working funeral celebrants who are also funeral directors, the authors of We Need To Talk About The Funeral – 101 Practical Ways To Commemorate And Celebrate A Life;
- covers what makes a good funeral; words and music for each part; working with newly bereaved families; creating a ritual; presence and presentation skills with a professional actor; liaising with other funeral professionals.
- requires over thirty written assignments for accreditation;
- provides supervision and continuing professional development.
Each family is sent a copy of the draft funeral script before their ceremony, to critique and amend where necessary. After the ceremony, I’m happy to provide a presentation copy too, if requested, as a momento.
By using me, you will be providing the family with a safe pair of hands; a person who will listen carefully, spend ample time with the family and with warmth and kindness inspire them towards the best funeral possible for their loved one – one that is moving and memorable, something to cherish always.
‘We cannot thank you enough for the way in which you delivered Mums funeral. Everyone commented on how well it went and that Mum would have enjoyed the day. Thank you for the presentation copy. It is a lovely momento. Keep up the excellent work. I know its your job, but feel you do take extra particular care of people\us in times of sadness. Your kindness and understanding at a time in ones life when your emotions don’t always let you think straight, is so much appreciated.‘ D & J Wilcox.